Pursuitist presents The Top 5 Best Luxury Hotels in Chicago. It’s easy to indulge your love of exquisite accommodations in the Windy City. Celebrating arts, dining, shopping, entertainment and sports, Chicago is a diverse luxury destination that presents unlimited adventures. The Gold Coast. The Art Institute. Alinea. Michigan Avenue. Soldier Field. There is so much to see, do, eat and drink in Chicago, that the list is virtually endless. As a major metropolitan city with midwest hospitality, you’ll discover the latest amenities in the lap of luxury at these top Chicago hotels.
Pursuitist presents the most outstanding Chicago hotels for 2023. We celebrate each of these properties for the gems that they are, each location has a distinct personality that will suit different travelers, whether you are visiting on business, with the family or on a romantic getaway. Curated by Pursuitist’s award-winning Editor-In-Chief Christopher Parr and contributor Stacy Steponate Greenberg (follow on Twitter), we proudly showcase these Pursuitist 5-Star Gold Award Winning Chicago Hotels:
The Pursuitist Difference: All reviews and recommendations are 100% authentic without reimbursement. Unlike all other luxury hotel review sites, Pursuitist does not accept any payment or commissions if readers book reservations.
Once again, The Peninsula Chicago ranks #1 on our list of Chicago’s Best, and is the perfect upscale destination for families, dignitaries, celebrities, and affluent business travelers. With numerous delicious fine-dining options, the stunning pool, spacious rooms and suites, there is so much to adore about the legendary Peninsula Chicago. They pamper the whole family, and all affluent travelers, with scrumptious meals and thoughtful amenities. The staff exceeds expectations and creates a remarkable experience. Beyond its excellent service, and truly friendly people, the property is gorgeous, the rooms are huge, and the location is perfect.
Views of Lake Michigan…. situated in the center of the Magnificent Mile…. the ideal location for shopping and entertainment, The Peninsula Chicago is a do-not-skip treat in the heart of the city of Chicago. The property offers many delicious culinary options too, from the Lobby to Shanghai Terrace (voted the number one “Chinese Restaurant in Chicago” by Zagat), and the new Z Bar. (Read more: The Peninsula Chicago Review)
Why Pursuitist Named the Peninsula Chicago One of Chicago’s Best Luxury Hotels:
- Prime Location: The Peninsula is nestled in the heart of Chicago, providing easy access to prominent attractions, shopping districts, and cultural hotspots.
- Luxurious Accommodations: With well-appointed rooms and suites that combine comfort and style, guests are offered a luxurious stay.
- Exceptional Service: The Peninsula is renowned for its outstanding customer service, ensuring an enjoyable and memorable experience for every guest.
- Fine Dining Options: The hotel hosts multiple award-winning restaurants and bars, catering to a wide range of culinary preferences.
- State-of-the-art Amenities: The Peninsula boasts a world-class spa, fitness center, and other top-notch facilities.
- Unique Experiences: The hotel offers curated experiences that cater to different interests, such as cooking classes, art tours, and more.
- Sustainability Efforts: The Peninsula’s commitment to sustainable practices may also be a consideration for rankings that take environmental impact into account.
Open since July, 2020, Nobu Hotel Chicago is a serene oasis of Japanese minimalism ensconced in the busy Fulton Market District. The 115-room hotel is brought to life through its architecture, which playfully blends elements of old world Japanese art and new world utilitarian, creating a sense of accessible sophistication. With tastefully appointed guest rooms and suites, a signature Nobu Restaurant, and the new-concept Nobu Rooftop, Nobu Hotel Chicago is the perfect destination for a stylish stay in one of the Windy City’s culinary hubs. Just a few blocks from Nobu Hotel Chicago, guests can get a full gastronomic experience going from sushi bar to sports bar, bakery to brewery, wine tasting to taquería, or by checking out the nearby Chicago French Market, the city’s only year-round, indoor marketplace.
After numerous return visits to Nobu Chicago, savoring the panoramic views from the rooftop, indulging in the exquisite cuisine at the Nobu restaurant, and luxuriating in the stylish suites, we’ve elevated Nobu to the coveted second position on our ‘Best of Chicago’ list. Nestled in the gastronomic paradise that is the Fulton Market area – a culinary hotspot home to notable establishments from Girl and The Goat to Green Street Meats – Nobu Chicago itself has emerged as a food lover’s dream destination. It stands as the pulsating hub amidst a vibrant neighborhood rich in taste and tradition.
A stay at Nobu Hotel Chicago will make it feel like you actually got to transcend into another land, where gratitude meets luxury.
With tastefully appointed guest rooms and suites, a signature Nobu Restaurant, and the new-concept Rooftop at Nobu, Nobu Hotel Chicago is the perfect destination for a stylish stay in one of the Windy City’s culinary hubs. (Read more: Nobu Chicago Review)
Why Pursuitist Named Nobu Chicago One of Chicago’s Best Luxury Hotels:
- Location: Nobu Chicago is located in the vibrant West Loop neighborhood, known for its dynamic food scene and lively nightlife, giving guests easy access to some of the city’s best restaurants and bars.
- Accommodation: The rooms and suites are meticulously designed, blending modern aesthetics with traditional Japanese influences. Each room is equipped with state-of-the-art amenities, ensuring a comfortable stay.
- Service: Known for its warm and attentive service, the hotel staff at Nobu go the extra mile to cater to the needs of guests, creating a personalized experience.
- Dining: Home to the world-renowned Nobu Restaurant, the hotel offers exceptional dining experiences with a menu that includes signature dishes like Black Cod with Miso and Yellowtail Sashimi with Jalapeno.
- Rooftop Lounge: The rooftop lounge at Nobu Chicago provides breathtaking views of the city skyline, making it an ideal place for guests to relax and unwind.
- Wellness Facilities: The hotel includes a fitness center and a spa, offering a range of treatments inspired by both modern practices and traditional Asian therapies.
- Design: The hotel’s unique architecture and interior design, inspired by Japanese aesthetics and Chicago’s industrial background, create a unique blend of style and comfort.
- Nobu-Style Meetings & Events: The hotel offers unique spaces for meetings and events that reflect the elegant and understated design of Nobu, along with a dedicated team to assist with planning and execution.
- Concierge Service: Nobu’s concierge team is available to help guests with reservations, recommendations, and any other requests to ensure a smooth and enjoyable stay.
- Nobu Hospitality: The Nobu brand is globally recognized for its commitment to exceptional hospitality, blending luxury and sophistication with comfort and convenience.
3. Waldorf Astoria, Chicago | website
The Waldorf Astoria Chicago is Chicago’s most romantic and secluded hotel. It boasts a fine restaurant and bar, an outstanding spa and amazing private dining (in front of your own fireplace, too). Exceptionally designed, the Waldorf Astoria Chicago impresses guests with its elegance and privacy. Located in the Gold Coast neighborhood, this is the perfect hotel to escape with a loved one. You’ll feel transported to Europe, without stepping foot out of Illinois. We highly recommend the spa and fitness facilities for a transformative and relaxing experience. There is something truly remarkable about this Waldorf Astoria.
The biggest change since our last visit? The property has been completely remodeled by the property’s original design team. The transformed lobby is a testament to the Waldorf Astoria Chicago’s commitment to grandeur and comfort. The new Peacock Lounge elegantly tributes the original Peacock Alley of the brand’s New York flagship, ensuring an unforgettable lobby experience. The culinary landscape of the hotel has also evolved, with the introduction of Brass Tack and the reintroduction of the beloved Bernard’s cocktail lounge. The two venues offer an enticing mix of Midwest-sourced American cuisine and innovative cocktails, creating a haven for the discerning food connoisseur. (Read more: Waldorf Astoria Chicago Review 2023)
Why Pursuitist Named the Waldorf Astoria Chicago One of Chicago’s Best Luxury Hotels:
- Location: Situated in the Gold Coast neighborhood, it is close to high-end shopping, dining, and many of Chicago’s main attractions.
- Accommodations: The hotel offers spacious, elegantly appointed rooms and suites with fireplaces, private terraces, and soaking tubs, coupled with stunning city views.
- Service: Waldorf Astoria is known for its top-notch service and attention to detail, making every guest’s experience personal and memorable.
- Dining: The hotel’s wonderful new restaurant Brass Tack and the reintroduction of the beloved Bernard’s cocktail lounge.
- Spa and Wellness Facilities: The hotel’s award-winning spa and health club offer a range of wellness treatments, along with a state-of-the-art fitness center and an indoor pool.
- Architecture and Design: The hotel’s design is inspired by the 1920s French art-deco era, which gives it a timeless elegance and unique charm.
- Personal Concierge: Every guest has access to a personal concierge to help with everything from arranging city tours to making dining reservations, ensuring a seamless stay.
- Event Facilities: Waldorf Astoria Chicago offers sophisticated spaces for events and meetings, along with top-tier event planning and catering services.
- Luxury Shopping: The hotel’s location in the Gold Coast provides easy access to some of the city’s most luxurious shopping, including world-renowned boutiques and designer stores on the Magnificent Mile.
- True Waldorf Service: A defining characteristic of Waldorf Astoria hotels, this service offers guests a unique, bespoke experience that is tailored to their individual needs, creating a memorable, luxurious stay.
After a year of renovations and a $100 million investment, the brand-new Ritz-Carlton Chicago debuted in 2017, and has reemerged as one of Chicago’s best luxury hotels. The completely renovated and fresh guest rooms at The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago boast shades of cream, blue and gray and amenities like flat-screen TVs, luxury bedding and marble bathrooms. New additions to the property include the tasty Torali restaurant and Bar, a concierge floor, a 24-hour fitness center and wellness classes like rooftop yoga and Pilates.
The unbeatable location and signature service assure your family a comfortable and relaxing stay. Located at Chicago’s Water Tower Place, you are an elevator ride away from Magnificent Mile shops and the American Girl Place. The perfect destination for the entire family. However, be sure to balance out the kiddie-centric activities by planning a few grown-up treats as well. The hotel spa is an onsite haven and the pool is perfect for swimming laps. The hotel babysitting service is always superb. The friendly, responsible, capable staff has always made us completely at ease. While the kids are being entertained, parents can enjoy classic favorites and handcrafted cocktails at Torali Restaurant and Bar. (Read more: Ritz-Carlton Chicago Review)
Why Pursuitist Named the Ritz-Carlton Chicago One of Chicago’s Best Luxury Hotels:
- Location: The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago is situated in a prime location, right at the heart of the city. It’s nestled in the Water Tower Place near the Magnificent Mile, providing guests with easy access to Chicago’s major attractions and shopping destinations.
- Accommodation: The hotel offers luxurious and spacious rooms with state-of-the-art amenities. The rooms provide panoramic views of the city and the lake, making for a memorable stay.
- Service: The Ritz-Carlton is renowned for its excellent service. The staff at the Chicago hotel goes above and beyond to ensure that each guest has a personalized and unforgettable experience.
- Dining: The hotel has some of the finest dining options in the city. Torali, Italian – Steak, and the Rooftop at Torali are popular choices among guests and locals alike.
- Spa and Wellness Facilities: The Ritz-Carlton, Chicago offers a high-end spa, fitness center, and a pool, providing guests with a comprehensive wellness experience.
- Elegance and History: The hotel itself is steeped in history and the interiors have been meticulously designed to reflect a sense of grandeur and elegance, providing a unique aesthetic appeal.
- Environmentally Friendly: The hotel has a strong commitment to sustainability and implements a variety of eco-friendly practices.
- The Ritz-Carlton Club Level: The Ritz-Carlton Club Level offers a distinctive level of service with a dedicated concierge and access to the Club Lounge, where guests can enjoy continuous culinary offerings throughout the day. Make sure to say hello to Pierre!
- Events and Meetings: With spacious and flexible event spaces, the Ritz-Carlton, Chicago is a popular choice for corporate events and private parties. Their event planning service is also top-notch.
- Ritz Kids: The hotel’s family-friendly approach includes a program designed for younger guests, making it a perfect choice for guests traveling with children.
5. Park Hyatt Chicago | website
Imagine strolling in an art gallery with its sleekness and high style, that’s what you feel like walking in to the Park Hyatt Chicago. With a distinct urban vibe and luxurious surroundings, welcome to the ultimate, intimate, in-the-know place to stay. Settled next to the glamorous Michigan Ave, conveniently located next to the famous sites and shops, this destination has great things to offer. Indulge in the acclaimed NoMi Kitchen, Lounge or Garden, the latter boasting a secluded, outdoor retreat that reflects the distinct surroundings found throughout the hotel. Jump on the complimentary bikes and explore all the city has to offer and be sure to enjoy the Spa that will no doubt provide you with the urban energy and renewal you so desire.
Unveiling its grand new look after a colossal $60M refurbishment, the Park Hyatt Chicago left us awestruck with its refreshed ambience and enhanced facilities. Post-renovation, this establishment has once again ascended to its position as a leading luxury destination within the Windy City. The expansion in suite count enriches the variety of exclusive rooms available to World of Hyatt members, presenting an expanded selection for direct reservation using Hyatt points or potential room enhancements.
Stepping into the Park Hyatt Chicago, you’re immediately welcomed into a world of redefined elegance spread across 146 refreshingly reimagined guest rooms and 36 unique suites. Each space feels like a private urban oasis, thoughtfully designed with architectural finesse and floor-to-ceiling windows that invite an abundance of natural light. Some rooms and suites even boast breezy balconies, perfect for taking in the vibrant cityscape. This redesign masterfully blends sophistication with an unpretentious luxury, offering unparalleled comforts amidst echoes of the buzzing city outside.
Exquisite cuisine at NoMI, paired with stellar service, ensured memorable lunch and dinner encounters. Nestled in the heart of the city, this rejuvenated hub offers the perfect start point for an adventurous exploration of Chicago’s many delights. The experience was so delightful that I am eagerly anticipating my next stay at this remarkable establishment. (Read more: Park Hyatt Chicago Review)
Why Pursuitist Named Park Hyatt Chicago One of Chicago’s Best Luxury Hotels:
- Prime Location: The Park Hyatt Chicago is located in the prestigious Magnificent Mile area, which is a hotspot for shopping, dining, entertainment, and sightseeing.
- Luxurious Accommodations: The hotel offers spacious and elegantly decorated rooms and suites. Many of them have stunning views of Lake Michigan and the city skyline.
- NoMi Kitchen: The hotel’s restaurant, NoMi Kitchen, offers an unforgettable dining experience with its Michelin-starred menu and sweeping views of the city.
- Art Collection: The Park Hyatt Chicago boasts an impressive art collection with works by renowned artists. This gives the hotel a unique cultural appeal.
- Exemplary Service: The staff at Park Hyatt Chicago is known for providing personalized, attentive service to ensure every guest’s comfort and satisfaction.
- Spa and Fitness Center: The hotel’s wellness facilities include a state-of-the-art fitness center and a luxurious spa offering a range of rejuvenating treatments.
- Pet-Friendly: Unlike many luxury hotels, the Park Hyatt Chicago is known for being pet-friendly, allowing guests to bring along their furry friends.
- High-end Amenities: From in-room dining to a rooftop bar, concierge services to a heated indoor pool, the Park Hyatt offers numerous amenities to enhance the stay of their guests.
- Event Spaces: The hotel has extensive and versatile event space that can cater to a variety of events, from business meetings to weddings.
- Sustainability Efforts: The hotel is committed to sustainability and implements a range of environmentally friendly practices.
Changes in our Top 5 Luxury Hotels in Chicago: Nobu Chicago is in, and Four Seasons Chicago is out. While Nobu debuted in the city with an amazingly designed and inspiring hotel and restaurant, Four Seasons Chicago, on the other-hand, underwent a renovation that was an enormous step backwards. Gone is FS’s classic lobby with many architectural nuances, discreet areas and private venues. It has been replaced with a dull and bland elongated open space — like a big, long white futuristic bowling alley that has been furnished and decorated with wanna-be edgy decor and uncomfortable seating.
Having been a luxury traveler to Four Seasons Chicago for over 20 years, and hosted wine events and business conferences at this destination, the redesign of the public space, lobby and restaurant/bar is truly heartbreaking. I know all hospitality brands are trying to chase and attract that mythical “affluent millennial,” but those young travelers are savvy enough to know better, while the FS brand is turning off their core affluent traveler. Due to this design flop, and trying to be a brand that they’re not, we’ve removed the Four Seasons Chicago property from our top 5 list. The staff at Four Seasons Chicago continue to amaze, and the services are exceptional, but their recent renovation is a misguided disappointment. Seriously, a DJ in the lobby? This is Chicago, not a Kimpton in Miami. (Read Four Seasons Hotel Chicago Review)
Honorable mention: Langham Hotel, LondonHouse Chicago, Conrad Chicago, and Virgin Hotels Chicago.
Take a stroll to the Museum of Contemporary Art around the corner from all these hotels, window shop on world famous Michigan Avenue, take the Architectural Boat Tour and then bop over to Millennium Park to see “The Bean,” as locals call the stunning, enormous sculpture properly known as Cloud Gate. Keep strolling down Michigan Avenue and experience one of the world’s best art museums, The Art Institute of Chicago, for a luxurious fill of Picasso, Monet and Van Gogh, to name just a few. And what could be more fun than a day at the Shedd Aquarium that boasts Beluga Whales and dolphins and a spectacular view of the Chicago skyline.
Also read: Two Days In Chicago
Christopher Parr, is the Editor and Chief Content Creator for Pursuitist, and a contributing writer to USA Today, Business Insider — and the on-air host of Travel Tuesday on Live at 4 CBS. He is an award-winning luxury marketing veteran, writer, a frequent speaker at luxury and interactive marketing conferences and a pioneer in web publishing. Named a "Top 10 Luxury Travel Blogger” by USA Today, Parr has also been selected as the official winner in Luxury Lifestyle Awards’ 2023 list of the “Top 50 Best Luxury Influencers and Bloggers in the World.”