Cult ad agency drama “Mad Men” won the best drama Emmy for the fourth year Sunday, while Kate Winslet led a gang of Brits taking gongs at US television’s annual awards show.
On the comedy front mockumentary “Modern Family” garnered a series of awards including best comedy series, in a triumphant night for the show at the Emmys, the Oscars of the small screen.
“Mad Men, which has spawned a host of lookalike shows, fought off notably the strongly-tipped “Boardwalk Empire” to take the best drama Emmy at the climax of the annual show in Hollywood.
The brilliantly-stylized AMC series, about a 1960s New York advertising agency, took the prize even though the show is not back on screens until next March, after a painfully long 17-month break.
“We are so grateful to the television academy for recognizing this show again, recognized by our peers. We want to thank the fans of the show who support it so wholeheartedly,” said executive producer Matthew Weiner.
Here is a list of winners in the main categories of the Primetime Emmy awards, announced Sunday at the television’s annual awards show in Hollywood:
– best drama: “Mad Men”
– best comedy: “Modern Family”
– best miniseries: “Downton Abbey”
– best variety, music or comedy: “The Daily Show With Jon Stewart”
– best drama lead actor: Kyle Chandler, “Friday Night Lights”
– best comedy lead actor: Jim Parsons, “The Big Bang Theory”
– best mini-series lead actor: Barry Pepper, “The Kennedys”
– best drama lead actress: Julianna Margulies, “The Good Wife”
– best comedy lead actress: Melissa McCarthy, “Mike & Molly”
– best mini-series lead actress: Kate Winslet, “Mildred Pierce”
– best comedy supporting actor: Ty Burrell, “Modern Family”
– best drama supporting actor: Peter Dinklage, “Game Of Thrones”
– best miniseries supporting actor: Guy Pearce, “Mildred Pierce”
– best comedy supporting actress: Julie Bowen, “Modern Family”
– best drama supporting actress: Margo Martindale, “Justified”
– best miniseries actress: Maggie Smith, “Downton Abbey”
– best comedy director: Michael Alan Spiller, “Modern Family”
– best drama director: Martin Scorsese, “Boardwalk Empire”
– best miniseries director: Brian Percival, “Downton Abbey”