A new ranking published by Spartacus, an international gay holiday guide, named Canada the most LGBT-friendly travel destination in the world.
Canada shared first place with Portugal and Sweden, splitting the honour three ways. The 2019 Gay Travel Index informs travellers about the current situation of lesbians, gays, bisexuals and transgenders in 197 countries and regions around the world.
According to Spartacus, Portugal made substantial progress this year, leapfrogging its way from 27thÊposition to the top spot. The travel guidebook notes that initiatives in the countryÊagainst hate crimes and law improvements for the protection of trans andÊintersexuals helped it to move ahead.
India was also highlighted for its momentum, making an impressive leap from 104th to 57th spot after decriminalizing homosexuality.
Top LGBT-Friendly Travel Destinations
1. Canada, Portugal, Sweden
2. Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Reunion Island, Spain, United Kingdom
3. France, Gibraltar, Greenland, Ireland, Switzerland, Uruguay
4. Colombia, French Polynesia, Germany, Israel, New Caledonia
5. Andorra, Argentina, Australia, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Slovenia, South Africa
6. Czech Republic, Estonia, Guam, Puerto Rico
7. Liechtenstein, Slovakia
8. Bolivia, Ecuador, Italy
9. Mozambique, Nepal, Taiwan
10. Bermuda, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Macau, Seychelles, Thailand, US
Sadly, the guidebook notes that social and political climates for the LGBT community in countries like Brazil, Germany and the US have worsened.
“In both Brazil and the USA, the cause lies in the right-wing conservative governments and their initiatives to revoke LGBT rights that have been achieved, as well as the associated increase in homophobic and transphobic violence,” notes Spartacus.
“In Germany, too, there has been an increase in violence against LGBT, the lack of modern legislation against transgenders and intersexuals and a lack of an action plan against homophobic violence have caused Germany to drop from third to 23rd rank.”
Saudi Arabia, Iran, Somalia and Chechnya have been deemed the most dangerous countries for LGBT travellers in the world.
NYC fashion writer blogging about all things lux. Attending New York University, future Fashionista.