Twickenham Plantation is located in Beaufort County, South Carolina and features over 2,510 manicured acres.
There is an abundance of upland quail woods, controlled interior and river rice impoundments for waterfowl hunting, and over one mile of river frontage on the South side of the Combahee River with private dock access.
The main four-bedroom plantation house was built in 1878 by Major John Screven but the story of Twickenham begins in 1732 when it was founded under a grant from England’s King George II. It was assembled by Walter Izzard in 1733 and was originally a part of Tomotley Barony, which spanned over 48,000 acres.
The main house was extensively remodeled over a 3-year period, and completed in 2018.
In keeping with the elegance of the 18th century, the house incorporates period-appropriate furniture and furnishings throughout.
A formal dining room overlooks gardens designed by Robert Marvin and Douglas Duany, landscape architects who are credited with other works like the Augusta National Golf Club, Sea Pines Resort, and the Governors Mansion grounds.
In addition to the main house and gardens are two historic guesthouses that have also been completely restored and modernized, a manager’s house, horse barn, stables, and several additional storage barns.
Away from the house is a large pole barn, tractor shed, and grain bins.
Twickenham has been managed primarily with quail in mind and quail courses are established, planted and managed intensively throughout the property. Whitetails and turkeys are also abundant on the property and flocks of wild turkeys are regularly seen on evening outings.
Other notable features are a 10-acre dove field, a one-acre fish pond, and a covered river dock that provides private boat access to the Combahee River.
A well-managed 3300-foot grass airstrip offers quick access to and from Twickenham. The airstrip can easily be expanded to 5000 feet if more runway is desired.
There are no conservation easements on Twickenham. This property is listed for $25 million with C.J. Brown of Jon Kohler & Associates.