The foodie elite will be tuned into London Monday night, when the World’s 50 Best Restaurant awards are announced, an event that makes overnight celebrities of chefs and fills up reservation books months in advance.
Voted on by more than 900 food critics, chefs and restaurateurs across 26 geographical regions around the world, the ranking is regarded by those in the industry as a representation of the zeitgeist of the culinary times.
This year, all eyes will be turned to Danish chef René Redzepi’s Copenhagen restaurant Noma, which tries to hang tight to its stronghold on the No. 1 spot for the fourth year in a row.
Meanwhile, before the winners are announced for 2013, here’s a recap of last year’s winners.
1. Noma – Copenhagen, Denmark
2. El Celler de Can Roca – Girona, Spain
3. Mugaritz – San Sebastián, Spain
4. D.O.M. – São Paulo, Brazil
5. Osteria Francescana – Modena, Italy
6. Per Se – New York, USA
7. Alinea – Chicago, USA
8. Arzak – San Sebastián, Spain
9. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal – London, UK
10. Eleven Madison Park – New York, USA
The World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards will be streamed live from London’s Guildhall Monday on Facebook by Fine Dining Lovers, a magazine published by event sponsor S. Pellegrino & Acqua Panna.
The evening starts at 8 pm BST (7 pm GMT).