New York City is synonymous with Broadway, which last year attracted more than 14 million theatergoers and generated $1.8 billion in revenue.
Times Square attracts 50 million of the 60 million annual visitors to the city, and is emerging as a destination for worldclass cocktails. With the 73rd Tony Awards coming up on June 9, below are some bars to enjoy elevated libations before or after seeing any of the 35 Broadway shows now in production:
This Tiki-themed bar by Major Food Group inside the Pod Times Square Hotel is helmed by industry veteran Brian Miller, and it celebrating its one year anniversary, and serving over 800,000 cocktails! Here are some favorites to try:
- Killer Kiwi – A verdant green boozy concoction with r(h)ums, melon, cinnamon, kiwi curd, bitters, pandan and tropical juices
- Captain’s Last Breath – A bright blue Daisy with rum, Chartreuse, blue curaçao liqueur, orgeat, absinthe and lime
- Hoist the Colors Punch – A decadent, large format punch of rums, cinnamon, bitters, absinthe, tropical juices and club soda served in a treasure chest
The Times Square EDITION
This beautiful establishment by Ian Schager has decadent cocktails spread throughout several venues by Mixologist Salvatore Tafuri. Broadway-themed cocktails at The Terrace include:
- Angel of Music – A sparkling sipper made with rosé brut, vodka, rose and cardamom
- As Is – Inspired by the Paloma and the Spritz, this all-day tequila cocktail also includes Italicus, grapefruit and Fever-Tree Tonic
- Speed The Plow – For fans of the Pisco Sour, the drink gains complexity from Chartreuse and is garnished with chamomile flowers and an edible paper bird
The newest expansion of Dear Irving offers stunning views from the 40th and 41st floor terraces, as well as intricate cocktails created by Meaghan Dorman.
- Gold Sector – A soothing marriage of BERTOUX Brandy, apricot and banana liqueurs, brown butter honey and bitters
- Pablo and Pilar – A stirred Tiki-style rum drink with passion fruit, Chartreuse, Maraschino, grapefruit and lime bitters
- Gibson – A Martini variation with gin, bianco vermouth and pickled onion