Grabbing a burger on your way to office is surely time-saving, but what is it doing to your body? Consuming junks, sugary drinks, and all those unhealthy foods are going to take a huge toll on your health if you don’t keep a check on them when you still have time! You should start practicing healthy eating as it is the only way to ensure a good health and overall fitness. Here are some reasons why you should start eating healthy:
- It helps you to get a better sleep. Unhealthful diet, drinking alcohol, and obesity are some of the major causes of sleep apnea. Moreover, when you reduce the intake of caffeine and alcohol, you automatically get a restful sleep.
- Your diet must contain plenty of magnesium and calcium in it as these are important for strong teeth and bones. If you manage to keep your bones healthy then it reduces the risks of developing bone issues when you are older, like osteoporosis.
- Eating healthy helps to manage diabetes. It manages your blood glucose levels, it helps in keeping your cholesterol levels and blood pressure in check, it prevents complications, and it also helps you to maintain a healthy body weight.
- When you eat healthy, you will have a healthy body weight which will benefit you in several ways. Having a healthy body weight reduces the risks of developing chronic health issues. If you are overweight, you are at a risk of developing cancer, poor bone density, type 2 diabetes, heart diseases, etc. Try consuming foods packed with vitamins, minerals, and fibers. Fibers are especially helpful when it comes to managing weight. That is because fiber gives you a feeling of being full which ensures you don’t overeat as well as don’t feel hungry.
- Eating healthy significantly sharpens your memory. It helps in maintaining brain health and cognition. Studies suggested that foods containing polyphenols, flavonoids, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin E, vitamin C, and vitamin D are helpful in preventing dementia and cognitive decline.
- Your colon is filled with naturally occurring bacteria. These bacteria play an important role in digestion and metabolism. Some bacteria strains also produce vitamin B and vitamin K which are very beneficial for your colon. These strains also help in fighting the harmful viruses and bacteria. If your diet contains low fiber and high amounts of fat and sugar, it is going to later the gut microbiome, thereby increasing the inflammation. Try to consume a lot of whole grains, legumes, fruits, and vegetables as these will provide a combination of probiotics and prebiotics that will help the good bacteria to thrive in your colon.
- Some studies even suggest that there is a connection between your mood and the food you eat. Studies suggest that diets having a high glycemic load might trigger the symptoms of fatigue and depression. Whole grains, fruits, and vegetables have a low glycemic load.
- Try consuming food items containing a lot of antioxidants as they help in reducing the risks of developing cancer.
- Unhealthy eating is the major cause of heart diseases. Eating healthy will keep your blood pressure in check and promote a better heart health.
You might want to read about Tracy Duhs, the ultimate female biohacker.