On May 16th, Renaissance Hotels celebrated its 8th annual Global Day of Discovery, which is particularly special because it also marks the launch of Renaissance Hotels’ new global campaign, Discover This Way.
As part of the celebration, Renaissance Hotels highlighted the storied neighborhood of Harlem, where it is set to open in 2020. This Way partners including singer Judith Hill, Chef Marcus Samuselsson, comedian Nicole Byer (Netflix’s “Nailed It!”), rapper Biz Markie (VH1 Top 100 song “Just a Friend”), graffiti godfather Ces, DJ and music producer mOma.
Guests were invited to experience the local color, flavor and characters of this celebrated Uptown neighborhood — think Sleep no More meets scavenger hunt meets epic block party.
Guided by Renaissance’s Navigators (a cheeky spin on the traditional concierge), partygoers were whisked off on a neighborhood adventure to local haunts and hidden gems. Some highlights included:
- A laundromat-turned-fashion showroom/nightclub experience at Baby Girl’s Bubbles & Cleaners, where the space was converted into an immersive shoppable fashion showroom with iconic hip-hop outfitter and Renaissance Hotels’ guest Navigator Harlem Haberdashery. Famed Harlem rapper Biz Markie also performed his famed song “Just a Friend” for the crowd.
- A comedy set by by Nicole Byer at celebrated greasy spoon Harlem Shake, the Uptown answer to Shake Shack with a whole lot more soul. This spot is full of cultural flavor and hosts weekly open mic nights for locals to enjoy with a side of fries.
- An explosive art exhibition by graffiti godfather at NY native Ces at a picture-perfect historic brownstone. Ces began writing graffiti in the early 80s. He’s part of the second wave of writers that innovated in letters. Renaissance embraced the unexpected, bringing classic street art indoors to champion its theatrical design and local style, along with afrobeats played by local DJ mOma.
- The final stop brought partygoers to Harlem Parish Church to toast to the evening with a performance by singer Judith Hill and lead dancer, Virgil Dey (of the Ruggeds) who are both featured in Renaissance Hotels’ new brand film. DJ Sahar Habibi and renowned dance group HIPLET also kept the crowd partying.
- Surprise and delight moments popped up during the walkable adventure, including a stop at Harlem Seafood Soul and a gravity-defying dance moment by Virgil Dey and his crew The Ruggeds.
- Beverages courtesy of Martini & Rossi, Grey Goose, Bombay Sapphire , Dewar’s, Bombay Sapphire, Justin Wine, Landmark Wine, Stella Artois and FIJI Water.