An 1904 military bunker used to occupy this hilltop property, but new owners of what now rises as a modern residence saw its potential to offer an exciting background for their modern lifestyle. The former fire control station for Gunnery Nash at Fort Ward at the south end of Bainbridge Island was re-imagined into this spectacular contemporary structure. After its challenging construction, the residence was come to be known as the Fort Ward Bunker House.
Created by Eggleston/Farkas Architects, this new single family residence was shaped out of the old bunker and new integrated design lines – a concrete garage was lined up with the existing construction and on top of this floor plan, the main living spaces were lifted on a platform. Plenty of storage space is available throughout the house, flanking the bright living spaces. An open staircase leads to the bedroom zone upstairs, where tall trees filter the light reaching the interiors. Kids can look over the kitchen and living space from the slot along the floor of the upper landing, constructing a creative space that links the old building and new additions.